Thursday, August 3, 2017

Crafter in The Spotlight 61 Shantha Prabhu


Hello arty-crafty folks,

The ‘Crafter in the Spotlight’ is so much into my Thursday routine now! I simply love sharing the story of a new crafter every week, this day this time!! This week the crafter in the limelight is Shantha Prabhu.

Shantha Prabhu is a computer science graduate who worked as an IT programmer for a couple of years before she discovered that her stronger inclination was towards Art and Craft. She is now a freelance artist and devotes her full time to her artwork. She mostly works with paints and mixed media is one of her favourites. Her creative world revolves around variety as she loves to try out different art forms.

How did Shantha get into art and craft, what inspires her, what are her tips for fellow crafters, her favourite quote, how would she contribute to the crafting world if she had magical powers? Read answers to all these questions, discover more about her interesting journey and catch a glimpse of a step by step project by Shantha in this interview. Don't forget to leave your comments for her.




Let’s see how Shantha Prabhu feels about being featured in the ‘Crafter in the Spot Light”

It is a great honour to be given this recognition and I wish to thank Rashmi Harish and the Itsy Bitsy team for featuring me.

Rashmi Closepet, MD, Itsy Bitsy:  Tell us a bit about yourself & your background?
Shantha Prabhu: I am Shantha Prabhu, an ardent art-lover, major craft enthusiast, Blogger, and a dreamer in my own world of colors.
Being a Computer Science graduate, I worked as a programmer for a couple of years. It was while I was working in the IT industry that I identified a stronger inclination towards my passion for Art and Craft. While working, I would receive requests from people for my art work. I eventually quit my job and decided to pursue Art and Craft as a full-time profession.
It’s been about 2 years since then and there is no looking back.  As a freelance artist, I now work with paints and make paintings on order.

RC:  How did you get into crafting?
SP: I inherit my artistic genes from my parents. My Father is a Mechanical Engineer and sketches Machine Designs/Drawings, skillfully crafts machines as per the sketches and gives life to it. My Mother is excellent with Art and from my childhood days, I would sit by her side and watch her embroider and paint. She enrolled me into drawing classes, where I ventured into shading, water colors, pencil sketching, portraits and still life. Though my love for art was initiated at a young age, pursuing it as a profession would not have been possible if not for the support of my husband who believed that I would carve a profession for myself out of my passion.

RC:  What is your favourite type of craft?
SP:  I love dabbling with various mediums, art forms and crafts. I can work with almost 50 different art forms, and I find it very interesting to combine two or more varieties of art on one canvas. I would say Mixed Media is my favourite subject.

RC:   What are your favourite products at Itsy Bitsy?
SP: I love all the products at Itsy Bitsy and end up picking more than I need when I go to the store. Mont Marte colour pencils and the Mont Marte Skin Tint pastel Pencils are my all-time favourite and I use these for my pencil sketches, portraits and detailing. My favourite products at present are the Chalk Paints, Colour Splash and the Alcohol Splash. I seem to be using these in all my Mixed Media creations.

RC: If you had magical powers, how would you contribute to the Crafting world?
SP: The world of Art and Craft is itself magical enough to motivate and inspire people to look within and realize themselves. Art is a way of expression, therapy, relaxation and rejuvenation. I enjoy working on various arts/crafts, lost art forms, write blogs and DIY articles with an intention to share the magic of Art. I handle workshops for Art and Craft enthusiasts which I believe is a way to help unfold the talents within each individual.
I also feel that when my workshops revolve around entrepreneurship, women empowerment, recycling and up-cycling, add value and in a small way contribute to the betterment of the society.

RC:  Your prized possession in your craft stash from Itsy Bitsy?
SP: I picked up the newly launched Dream Cut machine at the launch event and ever since that day I have been adding Die Cuts and Embossing Folders to my collection. I have used the Dream Cut for a lot of projects including canvas, jute, foam and even fabric and it’s a great addition to my craft stash. The Dream Cut is my most prized possession.

RC:  How would you describe your style of crafting?
SP: “VARIETY” aptly sums up the way I work with my projects.
I love variety and tend to get bored if I stick to a particular technique or style for more than a week. I keep hopping from one art form/style of crafting to another and sometimes work in combination.


 RC:  How do you organize your time for crafting?
 SP: I don’t really organize time for crafting. I do it all the time. Even if I am not physically working on a project, there is something or the other that keeps running at the back of my head. There are so many projects which I end up making in my mind and don’t find time to actually sit down and make it in reality.
 RC:   Tips for people who want to craft

SP:  “Let your Imagination take wings and Fly!!”

RC:  Your all -time favourite quote?
SP: “CREATIVITY TAKES COURAGE” ~Henri Matisse


 Here is a gorgeous project by  Shantha & step by step procedure:


A SIMPLE DIY:

I feel like Little Alice in Wonderland when I step into the Itsy Bitsy store. The entire collection of products is to die for. Right from the Acrylic Chalk paints, The Color Splash, Alcohol Splash, the chipboard elements to the most coveted Dream Cut, everything put together would help you magically create a piece of Art. Here’s how I got down to making something using all these products.

  I picked up a board that has already been primed and painted.  A wooden board/MDF, painted using Chalk Paint: Black can also be used. If painted, the board must be allowed to dry.



1    Meanwhile, I decided to cut out a few shapes using the Dream Cut machine. Using it is as easy as making a sandwich and frying it. All you have to do is: sandwich the cutting die and paper in between the cutting plates (by following the instructions in the leaflet) and then pass it through the machine to cut the paper.


         I somehow ended up using this Chip board element as a stencil. I love the outcome of the brick effect. I have used a sponge to dab Acrylic Chalk Paint: Drift Wood.


   I then assembled and stuck the cut leaves and a few Little Birdie Boutique Elements.


1  Using an Embossing folder with the Dream Cut machine allows one to create embossed patterns. I cut out a rectangular piece from cardstock and then used an embossing folder (just the way I used the Cutting Die) to obtain the pattern as in the image.



 Using Color Splash- Tangerine, I added some colour to the cut out paper.

1
.           I then stuck the embossed paper onto the board.


  A simple sentiment from Little Birdie completes the look of the project.

   And I am not done with my piece until I spray a bit of Gold Alcohol Splash onto it. 


Here we go!! This one is perfect as a display on a table top.

Here are a couple of  Shantha's other awesome creations:


                       Bottle Art using the Dream Cut Machine.

 A mixed Media painting on canvas using Chipboard elements, Chalk Paints and Acrylic paints.





 Acrylic paintings on Miniature canvases



THE WANDERER- Pencil portrait on Paper. Used Mont Marte Colour Pencils and Skit Tint Pastel Pencils for this

Many congrats  Shantha Prabhu for being the CRAFTER IN THE SPOTLIGHT – ITSY BITSY!!



You will receive Rs.500/- Itsy Bitsy gift voucher 😊😊 & a Crafter in the Spotlight badge, which can be proudly displayed on the side bar of your blog and other platforms. Looking forward to many more creations, Happy Crafting!

5 comments:

  1. wow..such cute and colorful creations..Loving it :) Congrats !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hearty congratulations to you my dear sis ! wishing you many more success in all that you do !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the wonderful feature Rashmi. Means a lot to me!!

    ReplyDelete