Thursday, December 8, 2016

Crafter in The Spotlight 27 - Itsy Bitsy

Hello Crafty Folks, I am delighted to introduce & feature yet another talented Crafter this week! This week’s crafter in the Spotlight for December 2016 is “PIYANKI BISWAS”! A Post graduate in Electronics, this talented crafter’s other passions are photography & travelling!  

Although Embroidery, Crochet, Quilting, Oil Painting have been her earlier interests, journaling her travel was what brought Piyanki closer to Paper Crafting, an interest which she loves & continues to cherish! “Progressive, Shabby Chic & Pastel” she says is her style & I find her work to be colourful, elegant & well balanced! J

What really inspires Piyanki, her tips for fellow crafters, her favourite quote, how would she contribute to crafting world if she had magical powers ?? To know all these & to know more about her interesting journey & to see a step by step project of hers, please read the interview & leave your comments for her. 


Here are excerpts of my interview with Piyanki Biswas:

Rashmi Closepet, MD, Itsy Bitsy : Tell us a bit about yourself & your background?

Piyanki Biswas A Big Hello to all! I was born and bred in Calcutta however my work life brings me to Delhi where I live with my Husband and Sister. I am a post graduate in Electronics however it doesn’t much add to my crafting abilityJ. Apart from work, travel and crafting takes a major space in my life. An ardent traveller, photographer by hobby and love for craft is how my life spin today.

RC: How did you get into crafting?
PB: Well, if I am allowed to say I do not recall since the memory is so far from today. I say this because the farthest that I can recall is making crochet flowers for my hair clips with my Aunt. My aunt has been the inspirational figure for my crafting venture. It all started with thread work learning how to do embroidery, crochet or even knitting till when oil painting took a front seat in my crafting world. Love for pattern paper and journaling my travel pulled me to the paper crafting community is when I came across Itsy Bitsy also. Since then it’s been paper crafting J J 

RC: What is your favorite type of craft?
PB: To be candid my paper crafting style has always been inclined to floral designs, swirls and layers. Off late I have been using texture and different mediums onto my projects. I love making cards, home décor pieces and wall art. Handmade flowers is what I am specializing myself by studying real flower texture and different layouts on the projects. Mixed Media would be my next fav J

RC: What are your favorite products at Itsy Bitsy?
PBI love the wooden chip designs which I have used a lot. Recently when given a chance to use the Color splash I loved it and plan to get more of the colors. The specialty papers is something I always look for in Itsy Bitsy as they have no match to any other manufacturers. Last, the handmade paper flowers are also one of my easy go to in the shop.

RC: If you had magic powers, how would you contribute to the Crafting world?
PBI wish it all the time! I would wave my magic wand and go back to the old days when handcrafted products were valued. I would love to work and grow the crafting world as its phasing out a lot. I really value the bygone days when an embroidered piece would be an asset versus today where we have lost the magic of handcrafted product.

RC: Your prized possession in your craft stash from Itsy Bitsy?
PBIf you ask me today, then it’s COLOR SPLASH  J J. Else I love the Wooden Chippies. I hoard them and don’t even use themL. 

RC: How would you describe your style of crafting?
PBProgressive, shabby Chic and pastel. I love symmetry, structured project, neat and color coordinated.

RC: How do you organize your time for crafting?
PBI have to tell this on national platform that my husband is the chef of the house which allows me to craft all day apart from my office. He is a saviour for which I get to make so many beautiful projects. Almost every day I craft even if it’s for 1 hour cause that’s gives me my daily grin.

RC: Tips for people who want to craft?
PBFew things: Find your own crafting MOJO. Do not push yourself for commercial success. Craft only if you like and craft whatever you like. Find and follow your style and let the world get inspired.
  
RC: Your all -time favorite quote?
PBHonestly it changes but most of the time it is “When your passion becomes your purpose”

Here is a gorgeous project by Piyanka & step by step description :

Hello Crafty Peeps, today I have a tutorial of how to make a layered card. Most of the products used are from Itsy Bitsy.

First in order for any layered card it is important to decide the theme you would want to pick. It could be shabby chic, vintage, Color Coordinated, elegant, mixed media or a mixed of the style.

For this card I chose shabby chic and took the below products. I like my card to have a color theme hence at first I decide all embellishment and paper I would use.

Now during the course of layering the elements, it could happen that the specific elements are not coordinating which is very common and happened to me here also if you see below.

Products used
  •          Itsy Bitsy Crochet Trim lace
  •          Kaisercraft Pattern Paper (Itsy Bitsy)
  •          DCWV Pattern Paper (Itsy Bitsy)
  •          Magenta Card Stock for the Base (Itsy Bitsy)


Later I distressed the paper and card stock as you see below. I also used some border dies from Spell binder.


Rest all are layering and to be honest it all depends how you start building your project. And mine looks something like this below.




If you notice there are many elements which I have considered in the beginning while conceptualising the project I skipped it as the end since it was not co coordinating. The big flower is handmade along with the crochet green leaves.


Here are a couple of Piyanka's other awesome creations:


Product Used
  • Color Splash
  • Leaf Stencil
  • DCWV Paper Stack
  • White Card Stock
  • Silicon Glue


Product Used: Itsy Bitsy Wooden Alpha

Many congrats Piyanki for being the CRAFTER IN THE SPOTLIGHT - ITSY BITSY


You will receive Rs.500/- Itsy Bitsy gift voucher :-) :-) & a Crafter in the Spotlight badge, which can be proudly displayed on the side bar of your blog and other platforms. Looking forward to many more creations, Happy Crafting!

2 comments: