Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Altered Notebook Cover

Good Morning!
This is Tanvi & in this post today I will share with you a simple makeover of a notebook cover. This pictorial is perfect for beginners wanting to try mixed media.


The first step is to prepare the surface. Gesso the front, back & spine of the book. TIP - I always prefer dabbing the gesso onto the surface rather than using a brush, this way you not only avoid brush marks but dabbing with a sponge, adds some texture too! Gesso provides teething for the acrylic paint.



To decorate the cover I selected some handmade flowers & chipboard embellishment. Gesso all the embellishment & leave to dry.



Once the gesso dried, I added modelling paste to irregular dots stencil on the front cover.
Next I placed the embellishments & using silicon glue, stuck them in place.



I wanted to create an ombre look, for this I started at the bottom of the cover with Indian gold - Moda acrylic paint & toned down the color as I painted upwards using gesso.  Once I was pleased with the outcome I highlighted the chipboard cut out with gold paint. Some pearls & white splatters were also added. Using the same stencil I added some more texture & color with ink pads.


I wanted the back of the book to be flat, hence repeated stenciling with only ink.


Here are some close ups - 






Hope you like this makeover & are inspired to give it a try.
Thank you for stopping by today!
Have a crafty day!

Supplies from Itsy Bitsy





8 comments:

  1. Bright sunshone colors...loved d makeover..sending u my diary also��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bright sunshone colors...loved d makeover..sending u my diary also��

    ReplyDelete
  3. The transformation is fantastic. Love the pastel shade and the beautiful design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lovely project Tanvi! very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow awesome! Thank you for sharing the pictorial Tanvi :)

    ReplyDelete