Sunday, April 14, 2013

Felt Hair Clips for your Little Princess with Video Tutorial


I have a little girl and like most mothers of little girls, I love to doll her up. Poofy dresses, frilly socks and sparkling shoes are my favorite shopping choices these days. And from the time she was 6 months old I was hunting for coordinating hair clips. I could never find the perfect match which was always a big disappointment for me. Now of course I never shop for hair accessories because who needs to shop when I can make my own right at home with some affordable supplies from Itsy Bitsy.


For my first 2 hair clips I used the Sizzlits Flower Layers Die to cut out the flower shapes out of some purple and pink felt. Bear in mind, since felt has a lot of fibres it doesn't get cut as cleanly as paper or card stock but it's fairly good and the rest you can ease out with your scissors. I added some petite daises for the centres and voila! My first 2 sets of hair clips were done! Cute aren't they!

For my next set I used the Itsy Bitsy butterfly die with some bright aqua felt. This die has a lovely embossing feature so as you can see, that beautiful spotted design on the wings came out wonderfully. For the body I added the bright yellow buttons you see here in 2 graduating sizes. Love love love how it turned out!!

For my next set I decided to use some frilly jewelled flowers from Itsy Bitsy's amazing range of fabric flowers. Itsy Bitsy has some amazing fabric flowers which are great for hair accessories. I combined them with a felt leaf cut from the Itsy Bitsy Leaf die and my quick and easy hair clips were ready!


Finally, I decided to make some felt rosettes for my next pair. It's really easy to do and you can learn how by watching the tutorial video at the end of this post. A bright green button at the centre completed the set. 


And if you want a visual of how these look when actually worn by a little girl, my 1.5 year old daughter Kyra was happy to model them for me! She totally loves dressing up and I got loads of lovely photos of her rocking these clips. Here's a collage for you!


As promised here is a video tutorial of how I made all 5 of these clips. As you will see it's really super easy to do!



Supplies Used:

16 comments:

  1. Wow...she's so adorable...and ofcourse the flowers are so pretty..Nice idea to make using dies...and readymade flowers..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they were really quick to do and easy to create... thanks Sathya!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Pretty pretty clips... LOVE all of them.. They look prettier on little Kyra's hair! I love her expressions in the photographs, especially the one in which she is wearing pink flower clips.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah - I had to take 50 photos to get 4 usable ones... she is a firecracker my Kyra! Thanks so much, I love dolling her up!

      Delete
  3. Oh my.your daughter is so cute.Little bambi like eyes.The clips ar adorable too.My fav is the butterfly clip.I might be obsessed with butterflies.;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww.. thanks so much. Even my fave is the butterfly set - love how the embossing emerged.

      Delete
  4. pretty stuff for a pretty princess, sunehra!!
    http://kalasirjana.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow..beautiful clips...and ur daughter is so adoraable..cutiepie ...hugs for ur little one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Neelam, she is really quite huggable! Haha

      Delete
  6. Wow ! The hair clips are pretty ! Your daughter is so adorable !

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a cutie pie ur daughter id sunehra. she herself is a inspiration for all the girly stuff to do. such cute clips, ill try it for my daughter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah - yes nothing like a little girl to get you creating!

      Delete
  8. Hey Sunehra those clips are gorgeous, will surely try them out for my daughter. Your little girl is adorable, wonder how you get time to craft!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Juhi - you must try them out for her - Kriti will look just adorable!!! I craft late in the night when the kids are in bed so I'm perpetually sleep deprived but personally satisfied - haha :)

      Delete